Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Christopher Sugrue on Cause-Related Advertising

I am Christopher Sugrue, and I am an advertising consultant. I have always been passionate about advertising – I have always known it was something I would want to do for a living. At first, the thought of any brand I handle being able to achieve top-of-mind awareness was the only thing that inspired me at work. Later on, it became this: to ensure that the campaigns I create for my clients tell a bigger, more meaningful message.


From CHRISTOPHER SUGRUE

I have always believed that advertising can be used as a means to make the public more socially aware. While branding is still a major and inevitable factor in advertising, I applaud the efforts of some companies in churning out advertising campaigns that send a socially-responsible message, while promoting their product at the same time.


From CHRISTOPHER SUGRUE

I, Christopher Sugrue, am a strong advocate of cause-related advertising. That social responsibility can work hand-in-hand with consumerism is just plain genius. Among my favorite cause-related ads include the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty, which encouraged the breaking of beauty stereotypes. It gave rise to the Dove Self-Esteem Fund, which aims to empower 5 million young women through information on positive body image, because, as the ad says, “every girl deserves to feel good about herself and see how beautiful she really is.” I also like how Lee, a traditional male brand, empowered consumers to organize workplace drives for employees to contribute $5 for the right to wear jeans on the first Friday in October, starting in 1996. The fund is being used for breast cancer research and advocacy.




To find out more about my thoughts on advertising for a cause, visit my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment